Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Introduction!

Hello Everyone!  First of all, thank you advance for all of your support, love, prayers and compassion.  As you may know, it means a lot to fellow PCOSers trying to start a family.

I am a 27 year old military wife.  I met my husband in July 2007, got engaged November 2008 and married September 2009. 

In March 2008, the Hub and I started talking about the fact that we've never used birth control and what if I was to get pregnant?  Are we ready for a child? Do we want to try to have a child?  The answer was yes. We knew were were going to be married at some point so why wait?  Taking into consideration that I've my monthly aunt Ruby Flo hadn't come to town in several months, I decided I should probably see a doctor about it. 

April 2008 I was officially diagnosed with PCOS by blood work and transvaginal ultrasound.  When my doctor was delivering this news to me, it didn't really affect me because I had no clue what it was.  I've never heard of it before.  I was under the impression it was something that I would just take some medicine for and be done with it.  That evening I researched the awful "disease" and sat at my laptop in shock.  Does this mean I'm infertile? Does this mean I will never have a child of my own? How in the world are we suppose to avoid infertility treatment?

My PCP started me on Metformin 1000mg per day.  It made me super sick but I kept taking it because I thought it was the only way.  After 3 weeks of complete misery, I was told that I could cut the pills in half and take them sporadically throughout the day to see if I could tolerate them better.  No such luck.  I never grew a tolerance to the Metformin and suffered through it for several months even after it was regulating my cycle.

I had my first appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist in April 2009.  He started me on Prometrium to jump start my cycle then I took Clomid 50mg on cycle days 5-9.  I was a raging ball of hormones! Wow was I mean and I'm surprised I wasn't served divorced papers! I also did another round of Clomid in May. By this time I was in full wedding planning mode, stressed out to the max and decided it was a waste of time and money to undergo fertility during those months.  In July 2009 the Hub had a sperm analysis that had normal results.

I went back to the RE in November 2009 and we again did a Clomid cycle with no results.  Clomid made my temperatures good and showed that I ovulated but I could never get an ovulation test to read positive.  Every month that I had went in to see this physician, I felt like he wasn't listening to me and when I would ask him about taking a different medicine than Metformin, he would tell me "I'm not here to make you miserable.  I'm here to get you pregnant".  I've specifically asked him about Actos and Femara and got run-around answers.  Also, by this time my insurance, BCBS stopped paying for the ultrasounds because I had been diagnosed (insurance only covered it until I was diagnosed).  When I walked out of my November appointment with the RE I was charged $200 and decided there was no way in hell we could afford to pay that every month, especially since I was on the verge of quitting my job.

March 2010 rolls around and I began coverage under Tricare Prime and was due for pap smear. I made an appointment with a base doctor who referred me to a fertility doctor who accepts Tricare.  It actually worked out perfectly because it was a physician I had wanted to be referred to. 

My first appointment with the new doctor was April 1, 2010.  He and all of the office staff was amazing.  He asked lots of questions and did lots more tests than the previous doctor did.  He told me the game plan for the upcoming few months and I left his office feeling much more confident that I ever had with the previous physician.  He gave me a prescription for Actos 15mg daily and Provera 10mg x7 days and instructed me to start charting my temperatures. 

April 11 was CD1.  I've been scheduled for an HSG on April 16 but I'm still having lots of bleeding.  Hopefully it stops by Friday and I won't have to reschedule the HSG.  Also, the Hub will be dropping off a sperm sample Friday to test for strict morphology as that wasn't done last year.  He's quite excited about cumming in a cup again :)

I will be returning to the doctor on CD22 to have my progesterone tested and to go over the sperm analysis. 

Now that you've been completely updated, I hope you follow along on my journey.  I'm praying it's a short one.

I'm quite nervous about the HSG.  I've heard mixed feelings about it so we'll see.  I'll post after the procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment